Saturday, September 7, 2013

$10.27

In the grand scheme of things, $10.27 isn't a lot of money. It's enough to buy a decent lunch in most places or grab an expensive cup of coffee at Starbucks.

For me, though, $10.27 is a really big deal. It's the amount of my first royalty payment from Amazon.

It has been more than two years since I hit the publish button on first story. Since then, I've published two more and had one made into audiobook (which is where most of the "revenue" care from). I've learned a lot more about writing fiction and a bit about marketing said fiction.

While I may never reach the epic heights of some self-publishers - Hugh Howey and his excellent Wool series - I am having fun and that's what counts, right? Along the way, I've made a few new friends and supporters, like J.B. Chicoine. Writing fiction has opened a new world for me, and I don't plan on giving up on it anytime soon.

The check from Amazon isn't first time I've been paid as a writer. I worked as a news reporter for a little more than a decade and made my living (if you can call it that. My first check as a reporter was $185 for about 50 hours worth of work). Somehow, it feels more satisfying.

As a reporter, I was always writing other people's stories. I was covering governmental meetings or sports games and the material to write about was right there in front of me. It's a luxury fiction writers don't have. There's nothing but you and a blank screen, which can be pretty damn intimidating at times.

If you're a writer and reading this, first off, thank you. I'm wondering if you have some of the same feelings I have about earning money from your efforts? It's not why I write, and probably not the reason you write either, but I'm still interested to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, writing has opened up a whole new world for me, too! I have enjoyed creating an array of fun, imaginary friends--my cast of characters--but more important, I have met so many quality people who also share their stories.

    As for the money aspect, I have trouble remembering numbers, and their meanings are as jumbled as their sums and denominators! I'm just ever so glad that those numbers represent readers on some level.

    ReplyDelete

BigAl's Books and Pals: In The Sunshine / PJ Lincoln

BigAl's Books and Pals: In The Sunshine / PJ Lincoln